1. What article did you choose to read for your fourth article?
I read the article "Let Our Voices Be Heard" by Elder M. Russell Ballard.
2. What were the most important things you learned from the readings?
I think that the tips that he gave to minimize the negative effect that the media can have on our families were the most important things that I learned from the article. I kind of already had an understanding about the negative effects the media can have on the family because my parents have always warned me about not following the crowd and watching what other people watch because it's considered "cool". Although, I knew this, I didn't really have any ideas or things that I could do to combat the negative effect of the media, besides just warning your kids about it.
3. How will what you have read influence your actions as a parent and/or teacher of children and youth?
Well, again back to his tips, I think that I will definitely be incorporating those things into my life as I become a teacher and parent. I"ll be spending quality time with my children so that I'm the main influence in their lives, not the media. I will be a good example to my kids, and make good choices regarding what media I participate in. I think that limiting the amount of time my children watch TV, play video games, and use the Internet will be an important factor in minimizing the negative effects of media. I think that nowadays, children are so caught up in playing video games, listening to their ipod, that they stop doing physical activities and really living! If a child becomes dependent on their Xbox, TV, or ipod (or anything like that) to have fun, then we are going to have a real problem in our society. Kids will become more lazy and anti-social and that will not be beneficial to future generations. Keeping the TV and computers in a much-used common room and not in a private place will definitely be important for me. This minimizes the temptation to engage in inappropriate media. The last most important thing I think a parent/teacher could do is to sit down with the children and discuss with them how to make good choices with use of media rather than bad choices.
4. How can you use what you have learned from the reading to have a positive influence on family and friends?
I can be a good example to my friends and family if I can follow the seven tips that Elder M. Russell Ballard gives to us. If I go see a movie with my friend and it ends up being a bad movie and I walk out of the movie theater, I can be a good example to my friend. Also, if my friend wants to leave too, she/he won't feel silly or bad about making the right choice because I would be there with them supporting them in their decision. Also, when I have a family and I choose to watch good uplifting media, I can be a good example to them on how they should view the media.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.